top of page

Electrical Fire Safety

Don't underestimate the fire risk from electricity.Just because there's no flame doesn't mean there's no risk. Electric wires don't even need to touch anything for a spark to jump and a fire to start.

How to avoid electrical fires:-

  • Check electrical leads and plugs for wear and tear and faulty wiring.

  • Frayed leads or exposed internal wires are fire risks.

  • Keep electrical appliances away from water.

  • Keep electrical appliances clean and in good working order, and have them serviced regularly. This is especially important for washing machines and tumble dryers that may be left on overnight.

  • New appliances should have the British or European safety mark on it. If the appliance is second-hand, always have it checked by a qualified electrician before you use it.

  • Throw away and replace damaged cables. Never use tape to mend or join cables.

  • Never run cables under mats or carpets where you cannot see wear and tear.

  • Never cut sealed plugs off to use them again.

  • Don't overload sockets.

  • Always check that you use the right fuse to prevent overheating

  • Try and keep to plug per socket

Electric Blanket Safety

  • Always follow manufacturers' instructions for using your blanket. This will help you use and store it safely and prolong the life of your blanket. Store it flat or rolled and do not store other objects on top of it.

  • Electric Blankets should be replaced every 10 years and tested every 2 years. Check with your local Age Concern office to see if anyone is testing in your area.

  • Always check your blanket for scorch marks, water damage, mould or exposed wires. If you see any of these on your blanket do not use it, replace it.

  • Never use a hot water bottle or drink fluids in bed when you have your electric blanket fitted to it. If you spill you drink or the water bottle leaks you will be mixing water and electricity.

The Danger signs - what to look for

  • Plugs or sockets that are hot to the touch

  • Plugs or sockets with scorch marks

  • Fuses that blow for no reason

  • Flickering lights

Don't take chances with electricity. If you have any concerns, consult a qualified electrician.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
bottom of page